Monday, April 13, 2015

Challenges and Solutions for Technology Integration into Middle School Health and PE

Health and PE are often topics considered best separated from technology. As an adult, exercise is often an opportunity to escape the constant chatter of emails, updates and pings. Last summer I began to carry a phone on mountain bike rides in order to track time, distance, speed and elevation change. At times I found this to be a distraction. I found that it changed the way that I rode. For example, I didn't want to take breaks because it would impact the numbers I was looking at after the ride. Just the idea of being tracked really brought home a feeling of lost privacy during that time. In the end I decided to only carry the phone sometimes. It would be good to track the data and to know details about certain rides, but I don't need all the details all the time. Other times I would still take the phone, but it would be muted and without tracking. Sometimes when you stop to take that break and enjoy the view it's nice to be able to take a picture.

I recently completed a unit plan that included the use of technology for health and PE that was focused on global warming through a technology lens. My reflections on this led me to realize how great technology can be to personalize issues that you may otherwise not connect with. Working to understand how global warming might impact people living in your region before the end of your time on this planet can be deeply personal. If you're living in a ski town you might already be coming to grips with the impact rising temperatures is having on the way you choose to exercise and take care of yourself. If you live in California you know that you can't get a glass of water in a restaurant without asking for it.

Educators need to take care, however, and use technology wisely. Just like with my mountain bike rides, personalizing technology can become invasive, too personal. We need to strive for balance and teachable moments. Without these considerations technology will drive fear and learners away from a mindset that seeks understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment