Saturday, February 7, 2015

Relative Advantage of Instructional Software in the Middle School Science Classroom

Middle school science classes are loaded with complex topics that are new to students. Fortunately for teachers, an array of instructional software tools are becoming available to suit different pedagogical needs and learning styles. Armed with an understanding of when and how to use them, teachers can leverage these tools to promote higher-order thinking skills with greater engagement in a way that better meets the needs of all students. These advantages, relative to traditional instructional models, should warrant consideration by those tasked with delivering this content.

The breadth of options available to a teacher without an already full quiver of tools may be daunting, however. To help with that there are a number of good options for building a collection. The National Science Teachers Association has a searchable collection of recommended resources. This resource is useful as it provides a review tool strengths from educators who have actually used it. Additionally, you can sort searches by grade level as well as by formats, such as software, app and web.

Another great resource is the National Science Digital Library's collection of open educational resources. This collection is also searchable and can be sorted by education level, resource type, subject and standard. Reviews are not provided but there are an abundance of resources to peruse. For a narrowed and recommended list, look at the National Science Foundation's classroom resources which is primarily culled from NSDL's collection.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great resources, especially the NSTA, which sadly, as a fellow science teacher, I should have probably known more. You mention the idea of promoting higher-order thinking , which I completely agree with, as well as reaching all students. However, I was wondering what you felt about the idea of using simulations and other problem solving software over hands-on activities? I feel there needs to be a balance, but that my school is pushing to use more and more technology, but I still want to use the lab equipment and get the students hands dirty. Where is the balance? When is it too much technology or is there no limit if supplemented correctly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pleased that you found these resources helpful. Being in IT, rather than a teacher in the classroom, I may be less likely to be wary of "too much technology." What strikes me as more important than the balance between something with a power button and lab equipment is focus on the learning outcome. Some of the simulation software I looked at for this assignment allowed me to play with cell structure in a way that I don't think is possible with a microscope. Of course, the smell of smoke and thump in your heart after an explosion is an experience no iPad can replicate.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing the NSTA resource., I was unfamiliar with this resource and as an elementary teacher, I was excited to see the wealth of resources for lower and upper elementary. It can be difficult finding resources for younger students, especially in science. Our school recently adopted Gizmos by Explore Learning, have you seen these before? The have some outstanding simulations but again are mostly targeted for middle school and higher. My younger students have had difficulty understanding and using them but I have used them as demonstrations before. I also like Katie's point of finding the line between hands-on activities and instructional software. However, as an online teacher, instructional software has provided our teachers and students with so many opportunities for instruction that we otherwise, might not have had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great resources, Tim. Thanks for sharing those. I really like the resources from the National Science Digital Library. I will definitely be bookmarking that one. I do think you covered the purpose of instructional software excellently with your comment of promoting higher-order thinking and greater engagement. In the end, all of the types of instructional software seem to have those ideas at their core.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have an exciting content-area to use technology in. Mine is a little more difficult but I can see the endless possibilities to using technology in a science classroom. I know that as I was perusing various ideas for software this week, my mind kept thinking how valuable simulations are in the science classroom. How many schools are under-equipped and funded to really pull off great science experiments? Simulations, while more effective when combined with real-life experiences, are a great way to introduce a topic. I know I have shared simulation software with my own students when we were studying about a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly. While we could watch this process happen everyday in the classroom, we often missed the big event because it happened at night. Or, the process was so slow we couldn't visualize it like we could when we watched the simulation videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you can find an old smart phone or iPod it might be fun to play with stop-motion photography to see if you can catch that butterfly!

      Delete